Czech- group clash in 2006 is my generation's best- El capitano Appiah
Jun 13, 2016 at 11:56am
SHARE THIS PAGE
Skipper of the Ghana Black Stars during the 2006 world cup campaign thinks that the team's cagy encounter with the Czechs in the group games of the 2006 world cup is the toast of his generation.
Ex- Black star captain- Stephen Appiah
Ghana emerged winners in that game with a 2-0 over Czech Republic at the 2006 Fifa World Cup.
Goals from Asamoah Gyan and Sulley Muntari wrapped up a stunning triumph for the Black Stars at the Rhein Energie Stadion in Cologne.
Ghana had five days earlier lost 2-0 to Italy in their tournament opener at the AWD-Arena in Hanover.
Speaking on 3FM, the El capitano, Stephen 'tornado' Appiah picked it as the best game his generation ever played.
"The game against Czech Republic was the best we played in our generation," Appiah told 3FM.
He then explained why he made that choice.
"Our campaign was built on character. We could have folded up after the Italy loss, but we responded superbly.
"I stopped playing football sometime back but I still brag about playing at the World Cup. It was very special."
Ghana went on to the round of 32 after handing the USA a 2-1 defeat in the last group game, before falling 3-0 to a Ronaldinho-led Brazil in the knockout stage.
Germany 2006 was the four-time African champions' maiden participation at the Fifa World Cup.
The Black Stars have since gone on to play at the 2010 and 2014 editions.
Source: Ghana/Ourblurbonline.com/Patrick Teye Dasinor
SHARE THIS PAGE
Tuesday, 14 April
- Africa Worldview ltd launches online educational platform
- "I'm only afraid of death, not dismissal"- Brazilian coach, Dunga
- Liwin booms funnily!!!!
- ECG workers angry over Mahama’s 'privatization' allusion- Snr. Staff member
- Former Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi is dead!!!
- Muntari shows remorse for Brazil misconduct
- McCaw, Abramovich and co in list of 24 billionaires without uni degrees
- WAFA SC announce three signings
- Hearts and Kotoko rumoured to vie for President- Cup
- GN Bank DOL: Elmina Sharks maintain top spot; Okyeman Planners replicate same